Summer Road Trips...is your vehicle ready?
Despite the unusually chilly spring we've had here in Georgia, summer will be here before you know it. Is your vehicle ready for summer road trips? The last thing you want to do is spend your vacation broken down on the side of the road, hours from home. When planning your summer trips, one of the first items to check off your list is to prepare your car for the miles of open road ahead.
Speedy Marietta-Transmission Shop has a handy vehicle safety checklist to help ensure the perfect road trip and the avoidance of costly repairs:
- Check all fluids. There are many different fluids to keep your car running smoothly. Power steering fluid, oil, transmission fluid, windshield washer fluid, antifreeze and brake fluid will keep you going in the right direction.
- Top off any low fluids. In case of emergency, it's a good idea to keep extra bottles of each type in the trunk of your vehicle when embarking on a lengthy trip.
- Wipers are often overlooked unless you are experiencing torrential rain. If your wipers aren't adequately clearing your windshield without leaving streaks, it is time to replace them. An obstructed view is dangerous.
- When is the last time you had your brakes checked? If you are planning to put miles on your car, especially ones that involve elevation changes, it is crucial to make sure your brakes are at least 50 percent.
- A tune up is a great idea before hitting the highways and byways. If it has been awhile since your last vehicle maintenance service, or you don't have a regular service shop, ask Speedy Marietta-Transmission Shop for a recommendation.
- Though it's not as common to have a manual transmission in the busy traffic areas around Atlanta, if you do drive a car with a manual transmission, have your clutch serviced to prevent expensive (and preventable) damages to your car.
- Proper tire pressure and regular tire rotation is important to avoid uneven wearing of tread or balding tires which can point to needing alignment or tire replacement. Check that the tires, as well as the spare, to ensure they are all inflated to the correct pressure.
- Getting lost on a long dark road is probably not on your summer road trip list. Check lights and make sure that the bulbs have not burned out in any exterior lights, especially brake lights. Broken lights can lead to accidents and traffic tickets, neither of which would be fun when away from home!
Adhering to manufacturer guidelines for regularly scheduled maintenance is the best practice in preventing major car problems. Speedy Marietta-Transmission Shop offers free transmission diagnostics in order to ensure the health of your car before a road trip. If there are any issues, our highly skilled technicians provide cost effective, expert transmission repair to get your car back on the road without depleting your vacation funds.
Enjoy your summer, whether traveling the local Georgia roads or making a cross-country trip. Speedy Marietta-Transmission Shop is here to help with your transmission needs before or after your trip, as well as make recommendations to other local shops to help you keep your car on the road for many years.